The birth canal is getting a bit crowded…


I’m not sure if it’s purely the by-product of me being disorganised, or if it’s because I am being overrun by new ideas popping into my head on a daily basis, or if it has something to do with the Painter giving up smoking, but things seem to have gone a bit haywire at Trippet Castle.

I currently have in progress:

7 disembodied heads

6 disemheaded bodies (?)

3 full sets of limbs

2 stray upper arms

1 complete doll in a naked and embarrassed state waiting for clothes.

It’s all gone a bit wonky and it’s starting to really annoy me as every time I start working on them I’m a bit lost as to what I should be doing.

The body parts on the above list (with the exception of the naked complete doll) are all still in process, ie they need more layers, more time to dry, more makeup or varnishing. The whole thing has got a bit out of hand, really.

You are probably thinking that I should just concentrate on getting one doll complete, and then move on to the next one, etc. Sadly though it doesn’t work like that. each layer takes a day or so to dry, so if I were just to work on one doll, including the drying time it would take more than two weeks to complete. Having said that, I’m beginning to think that there must be a more organised way to approach this. Maybe if I did all heads one week, and then all bodies the next and then all limbs on the last week? Of course with other commitments none of these could be done in a week and so I would more likely be looking at two months to get a few complete dolls out of it – and that doesn’t include dressing them – which although it is fun, can take ages to get right – dolls are notoriously temperamental about their clothing.

Oh well, back to the kitchen for another few layers (if I can find any dry bits to paint them on). Wish me luck – and any suggestions for a more fluid system will be gratefully received.



This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The birth canal is getting a bit crowded…

  1. I’m not sure I can offer any alternative systematic approach as you are limited with drying time. Maybe, do the head on day 1, body day 2, limbs day 3, but if you get a chance on any of those days, maybe start with the clothing so you may get a doll a week? Sorry I have never made them before so I am just guessing of how to do it. I know with my purses, I do them in batches as it is quicker but I don’t really have the same issues re; drying. Good luck with it all!

  2. DougDoesLife says:

    Good title! It caught my attention and I just had to know what was going on…

  3. Can’t offer any organisation advice – all I can say is hooray – more beautiful dollies on the way!!! xxx

  4. I thought I’d missed a chapter of your life when I saw that title… 🙂 I’m no good at organisation. I think it means you need a break. Take a day to drink wine, keep a close eye on Painter Man, get out for an autumn walk on the beach, and blog. HTe next day you will wake up with the perfect solution to your dismembered body problem.

  5. Trapper Gale says:

    Great title and entertaining photo! Good luck with the whole… birthing process.

  6. Gede Prama says:

    Amazing and thank you friend… @ ^_^
    kindness blossoms in your heart

  7. PS MacMurray says:

    Ho! How I can relate. A naked llama (as in sans wooly coat) sat on my kitchen counter for weeks, or was it months, before I finally finished it. He was very patient about it though. I have found that I need to tone things down. Two at a time instead of ten. It takes more time, but it keeps the process enjoyable. This just occurs to me: Perhaps the solutions in not in numbers at all, but rather in not judging our unique process.

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s